Finished my poppy mixed media piece for my grandparents- this is a mix of acrylic paint, tissue paper, stamps and image transfer for the base and acrylic paint and ink for the poppies on top.
32 x 59cm without frame.
Works in Progress
Currently working on a few pieces using scraps from other projects- this is why I really don’t like to throw anything away.
The first is a box frame piece- trying to use some big pieces of my unfortunately smashed mug. I have a few more pieces that I will use in other ways too.
The last two are scraps of paper collaged with a light wash of gesso ready for some linework and ink. I’m still not entirely sure what they will finish up as.
Puzzle with a piece missing, ink, cut text, ink pen, acetate print, 17.3 x 23cm
The next piece done for my ongoing Gotye project.
With this piece I wanted to capture the overall sombre feeling of the song. I decided to use muted blue and purple ink accented with simple black and white. I also wanted the figure to look and solemn reflective with the jigsaw texture (and the absent pieces) as an obvious link to the song title.
The subtle graphics in the background ink is a collage made in Photoshop from vintage diagrams and text, printed onto acetate and then onto the ink base. The text in the piece is a couple of lines from the song.
See other artworks in this series here.
Stepped Tea, acrylic ink and pigment ink pen on paper, 9 x 15cm
The is my first little bit of experimentation with cutting and reassembling drawings.
This image was originally drawn and inked on 200gsm paper and cut into strips. I then reassembled the image with the strips staggered to disjoint the image. I then added white ink splatters over the top of the image recreate continuity of the image.
I will be making a few more of these type of images, however I think I will create smaller strips to reassemble to emphasise the intended effect.
Two pieces of work that were not chosen for the final album pieces. These artworks illustrate the same song, as you can see, I decided to try different approaches to demonstrate the view from a commercial aircraft window.
Each piece is acrylic ink and paint on card and cleaned up/slightly re-arranged in photoshop.
I’m aiming to post a detailed blog post on each piece that was selected for the album and how they fit together as a project.
Just a short post showing more experimentation with composition of text, image and ink. Both the text and image were left over from a previous studio session hence why an MD81 is mentioned but the plane is a Boeing 747.
Hoping to use similar techniques on some larger artworks in the next few weeks.