Just sorting through some of my University BA work.
Found these small images of experiments with scenes and ink. I think I’d like to revisit these and make some into larger paintings/drawings.
I really enjoyed experimenting with ink and text on my Masters course this year so I could combine the two techniques.
These are in a folder labelled Power Series.
All pieces are 30x27cm and are ink on Fabriano pressed paper.
This artwork is similar to a smaller experimental piece that I did a few months ago (this post), here I wanted to try a similar method and aesthetic on a larger scale. I have also specifically made this is response to the 1999 Britannia crash in Gerona. The piece is based on Boeing’s CAD drawings of the 757 with 90s Britannia livery applied.
The left half of the image represents the clean, active plane and the right half represents the crashed plane. I’ve tried to incorporate the different elements of the crash, unattached engine, missing nose gear, cracked nose cone etc. In the work I’ve also included report text and measurements of the plane taken from the CAD drawings.
Obviously this is not a ‘neat’ piece of work as I was trying out adding livery and the representing the crash on the same ‘diagram’. The lines and the text are not as good as good as I would like them if this was a final finished piece. I am also no sure whether the ‘diagram’ works as a whole, I think it may be too ‘busy’ to get across any issues of the spectacle with details conflicting with each other and another angle of plane may be more recognisable and identifiable.
I still like the half and half image technique but will choose only a few details to focus on and contrast, hopefully this will allow me to portray the fragmentation and spectacle to a higher degree.
A quick sketch/study of some displaced seating in the 1999 Britannia crash. I’m planning to do some artwork based around the interior of the plane after talking to a Uni tutor. We were discussing ways to possibly making it relatable to the general viewer, as not everyone views planes as I do because of my love of the exteriors. Over the next few day I will be doing some prep work for bigger pieces incorporating text and other collage, this will help with finalising a composition.
I’m looking at using the interior apparatus of the plane to relate to the general passenger, I have also started to watch certain ephemera associated with the Britannia 757 on eBay. I’m possibly thinking about displaying diagrams and safety cards along with my artwork on the crash ( and other crashes i decide I want to look into for this semester.)
Some more testing of ink and water techniques with the crash of Britannia flight 226A. Summary of crash report here.
I feel this suits flight 226A as heavy rain/ storms at the time of landing was one of the contributing factors of the crash and the ink is reminiscent of this.
In my next works I want to use techniques used here as well in the works in the previous post in relation to this crash.
From now I am aiming to use the textures of ink and paint to reference different elements of the air disasters I am making the work out of. Hopefully this will develop my way of demonstrating context visually to the viewer and will both complement and juxtapose the use of text and plane forms.