Stepped Tea, acrylic ink and pigment ink pen on paper, 9 x 15cm
The is my first little bit of experimentation with cutting and reassembling drawings.
This image was originally drawn and inked on 200gsm paper and cut into strips. I then reassembled the image with the strips staggered to disjoint the image. I then added white ink splatters over the top of the image recreate continuity of the image.
I will be making a few more of these type of images, however I think I will create smaller strips to reassemble to emphasise the intended effect.
For reference I used this stock from liam-stock on DA
Just a few photographs of some experimentation with paper and white emulsion. The paper can be molded with emulsion and added to existing artwork to add different texture.
I do want to develop this technique further and build on creating texture and forms within artwork.
A few more updated images of the large plane painting which is not completely finished yet. I have used this image and technique in a smaller work, here I am experimenting with scale.
The image itself I feel does has a larger impact on the viewer and sense of space, of course I do think that how the work is eventually displayed will also affect this. I will have to take this into account if it’s one of the works I choose for the end of year MA exhibition.
I slightly changed the technique I used for the text image transfer. I pulled away the entire paper sheet from the emulsion for the majority of the text and also used the usual technique of wetting and rubbing away the backing of the paper sheet in some places to give different texture.
The left half of the image is distressed with ink and water added to somewhat reference the heavy rain and wet conditions of the runway on landing. On this scale the ‘hard’ edge of the ink and text I feel is more visible however I think the lines of the image being this big do not look as ‘fragmented’ as I’d like. When making images on a larger scale like this I think I should limit the lines used in outlines and the text to emphasises fragmentation.
I’ve also included some close up images of the texture of the paper and the ink. All images are taken with my phone so not impressive quality but when everything is finished I’m planning on taking better images with my DSLR.
Just a short post showing more experimentation with composition of text, image and ink. Both the text and image were left over from a previous studio session hence why an MD81 is mentioned but the plane is a Boeing 747.
Hoping to use similar techniques on some larger artworks in the next few weeks.