This artwork is a larger piece that developed from my two smaller pieces on the 1993 Poland crash (previous post). After producing the work A cargo of flowers to Miami I decided to not further outline the plane form with ink. The outline is added digitally and so is transferred with along with the text from the paper, at times it feint or incomplete. I felt this fitted with the overall aesthetic of the work itself.
The summary report text is, again, available here
This work shows both the fuselage and the cockpit of the plane and the fragmented form after the fire, using this crash for inspiration I was able to illustrate fragmentation of both image and text in this artwork. I used an ink and water method to create an abstract background for work and tried to combine the printed text and the background far more than the other works where I was trying to remove context from the actual scene of the crash.
This is the last work I produced for this semester’s assessment, I definitely feel that this piece is an accumulation of my experimentation and studies and allows me to see where my work will develop in my final semester.
The artwork is ink, acrylic paint and printed text on paper and is 196 x150 cm.
Just a small update of two small works that I also produced for this semester’s assessment. I don’t have any photographs of their stages of progress (they were in the batch that my camera deleted) but you can see how they were displayed in the studio on the wall.
Click thumbnails for larger images.
These two works were in response to the Airbus A320 crash in Poland in 1993. The plane crashed on landing at Warszawa-Okecie Airport due to the crew’s reactions to windshear information given on approach. The aircraft caught fire that spread to the passenger cabin and destroyed the top of the fuselage.
The textual report summary and information can be found here.
The images are ink, acrylic paint and printed text on paper and are approximately 84 x 58 cm
Another new artwork for the end of this semester. This work is also from my studies of the Kalitta Air cargo B747 in Columbia 2008 however this is larger than the other artwork I produced. I also decided to focus on smaller part of the wreckage, a section of the sheared engine.
I decided to structure this work more like a landscape as the majority of the plane wreckage was piles of black debris with larger recognisable parts of the aircraft visible. In this ‘landscape’ the engine form and the text contained within it lies within the unstructured debris on the surrounding ground.
Click the thumbnails for larger images.
There are not as many images of the painting’s stages for this post, my camera seems to have deleted them unfortunately. I’ve included the last image to show demonstrate the scale of the work and how it has been displayed. In my opinion I don’t feel that the ink outline works particularly well in this image visually however I do like the contrast of the white text form emerging from the dark, unusually shaped ground. In my artwork after this series I am thinking of playing on the landscape idea more, possibly using the broken plane form to build up some sort of landscape.
The artwork’s title is A cargo of flowers to Miami as this is what the aircraft was carrying when it crashed, there were fatalities on the ground when the plane smashed through a farm in the area. I felt that using this phrase from the report text added a small bit of context for the viewer when considering the artwork. The text, again, is from the report summary available here.
The painting is ink, acrylic paint and printed text on paper and is approx 196 x 150cm.