Tag Archives: B747

Experimentation

Just a short post showing more experimentation with composition of text, image and ink. Both the text and image were left over from a previous studio session hence why an MD81 is mentioned but the plane is a Boeing 747.

Hoping to use similar techniques on some larger artworks in the next few weeks.

Leave a comment

Filed under Artwork, Artwork In Progress, MA Fine Art

New Artwork: A cargo of flowers to Miami

Another new artwork for the end of this semester. This work is also from my studies of the Kalitta Air cargo B747 in Columbia 2008 however this is larger than the other artwork I produced. I also decided to focus on smaller part of the wreckage, a section of the sheared engine.

I decided to structure this work more like a landscape as the majority of the plane wreckage was piles of black debris with larger recognisable parts of the aircraft visible. In this ‘landscape’ the engine form and the text contained within it lies within the unstructured debris on the surrounding ground.

Click the thumbnails for larger images.

There are not as many images of the painting’s stages for this post, my camera seems to have deleted them unfortunately. I’ve included the last image to show demonstrate the scale of the work and how it has been displayed. In my opinion I don’t feel that the ink outline works particularly well in this image visually however I do like the contrast of the white text form emerging from the dark, unusually shaped ground. In my artwork after this series I am thinking of playing on the landscape idea more, possibly using the broken plane form to build up some sort of landscape.

The artwork’s title is A cargo of flowers to Miami as this is what the aircraft was carrying when it crashed, there were fatalities on the ground when the plane smashed through a farm in the area. I felt that using this phrase from the report text added a small bit of context for the viewer when considering the artwork. The text, again, is from the report summary available here.

The painting is ink, acrylic paint and printed text on paper and is approx 196 x 150cm.

Leave a comment

Filed under Artwork, Artwork In Progress, MA Fine Art

Finished Artwork

I’m behind with posts but here is the finished artwork from the last post. Been very busy with actually doing written work along with the practical work for the end of the semester so I’m only just updating the blog now.

The text on the nose of the plane is text from the crash report. This text is cut to fit the shape of the nose and I added it to the painting upside down to fit the orientation of the plane.

I also added a discarded engine in the background of the scene, the engine in the crash was ripped off and beaten pretty badly by the impact, shearing off some metal from the engine casing . There is also added text to the engine form outlined with black ink.

Image size: Approx 841 x 594 mm, ink, acrylic paint on paper

Leave a comment

Filed under Artwork, Artwork In Progress, MA Fine Art