First page of a new Moleskine, poppies for Remembrance Day here in the UK.
Text reads ‘Lest we forget…’
Acrylic ink and pen.
Now I’m finished with my Masters (apart from my graduation in March next year) I’ve been going through my artwork and sorting what needs to go into storage. The next few posts might be a little random in theme as I’ll just be photographing and posting stuff that hasn’t been archived yet.
These are the forst two. They were both produced in my third year of my BA, these were made as some early responses to my research into the industrial sublime and the landscape around my home county (West Midlands) in the UK. These are gas holders in West Brommich.
Both untitled, pen and coloured ink on newsprint paper, 59.4 x 42 cm approx
A couple of better images of the final works in place, these are all in the same studio/gallery space on opposite walls. The works have been titled and framed documents added to the side of the works.
The documents are a crash summary report facts and a passenger safety card of the plane operator and model. When these are shown in a gallery setting in october I am hoping to display them a little better and be able to add more ephemera relating to the plane itself.
Not shown (will add a photo later) is my accompanying work and research for this semesters work submitted for assessment. I will also make a further blog post on specific artists and how I have been inspired by their work.
Update of this artwork. It’s finally finished and I like how it has turned out but in the process of making it I have found ways to develop the next work that I make.
This is the largest work I have made so far this semester, it is (approx) 3.8 x 1.5 metres. This work is pretty much my testing out the scaling up of this crash image and text that I have done before. I feel that the text and the ink techniques fit this scale however after completing the work, the plane fuselage feel very small. It would have been a far more successful work if I had focused on a small fragmented section or minor detail in the crash debris.
I ripped the two ends of the paper and left the top and bottom cut cleanly. I decided to do this as I felt it worked on my last piece of work on the interior of the plane but here I wanted keep the balance of the clean edge and the broken plane so I ripped two sides and left the other two cut.
I also like the work on this scale and would like to do something similar to this again, however time restraints and cost of materials means that this is the only piece of this size I can complete this semester. By reducing the size a couple of meteres I can still make large work but I can make more of them and they will be far more manageable.
This artwork is similar to a smaller experimental piece that I did a few months ago (this post), here I wanted to try a similar method and aesthetic on a larger scale. I have also specifically made this is response to the 1999 Britannia crash in Gerona. The piece is based on Boeing’s CAD drawings of the 757 with 90s Britannia livery applied.
The left half of the image represents the clean, active plane and the right half represents the crashed plane. I’ve tried to incorporate the different elements of the crash, unattached engine, missing nose gear, cracked nose cone etc. In the work I’ve also included report text and measurements of the plane taken from the CAD drawings.
Obviously this is not a ‘neat’ piece of work as I was trying out adding livery and the representing the crash on the same ‘diagram’. The lines and the text are not as good as good as I would like them if this was a final finished piece. I am also no sure whether the ‘diagram’ works as a whole, I think it may be too ‘busy’ to get across any issues of the spectacle with details conflicting with each other and another angle of plane may be more recognisable and identifiable.
I still like the half and half image technique but will choose only a few details to focus on and contrast, hopefully this will allow me to portray the fragmentation and spectacle to a higher degree.
Another work focusing on the interior of the plane. In this work I put down a base of acrylic paint and ink before any detailing, the ink and acrylic being a little bit more abstract in composition but using colours reflecting the crash interior.
The seats themselves are referenced from both crash report photos of the actual crash and usual seats hat were found in Britannia’s 757s. On the left side of the work the seats included text from the crash report, however because of the ink and transferring it over the acrylic texture the text does not stand out as much as I would like.
I limited the lines of the smaller details to add to the overall fragmentation of the image which is complemented by the ink techniques on the paper so overall I like the piece aesthetically. I’m definitely going to experiment with something of this aesthetic style on a larger scale and with different subjects, making sure the text in the image is far more visible and integrated more successfully.
As the Art Therapy MA operates in the same building as us at University and it doesn’t run throughout the summer like we do, I’ve been able to use one of their studios for the rest of the semester. I’m still in the process of setting it up and moving stuff over to here.
I get this studio all to myself until early September, extremely happy. Although the fact that someone drew a crown for the clock unnerves me.
Look at all the space. I’m hoping to start a 3 x 1.5 m work on Monday/Tuesday next week.