Artwork

This artwork was made in response to some sketches that I have made of the interior of the Britannia crash from the AAIB  report diagrams and official photographs. I originally started to look at the interior of the crash after a talk with a tutor, we discussed the fact that the majority of reports on plane crashes only show the exterior debris and remains of the plane and even though they are physically deformed and broken it is still an easier ‘clean’ image to display to the public.

The mediation and distance from the crash is still apparent, by displaying the interior of the plane it brings the images closer to the public; the passenger  (the viewer). The interior will also be far more disjointed and disarranged and possibly more distressing to see because of the relationship between the cabin of the plane and the passenger. I am also planning to make some studies of other cabin/passenger related apparatus and seeing how this can be used in my artwork along with report text and ink techniques.

The first image shows the outline and text that I transferred onto the paper, this is taken from s small sketch of mine that is then scanned in and manipulated slightly to fit with the text and be ready for transfer. When I took the image down from the wall I decided to rip along edges to fit with the feeling of the torn apart interior, the clean edges seemed to frame the artwork too much and I feel this ripped edge enhances what is being represented on the paper. I do think that the report text is not integrated as well as it could be in this piece, I wanted to have the detail of both sides of the cabin along with the text on one half of the image. After making this work I feel that it would be best for me to determine which details are most important and minimally emphasise these to integrate better with the text, possibly breaking up the text to fit around the details.

Going along with the ‘half and half’ images i have been producing, I tried to show the crashed interior on the left and a normal 757 Britannia interior on the right to contrast; I used acrylic paint and ink on the left side and stuck to an ink outline on the right. After finishing the piece I think that the ink outline would have worked far better with dislodged seats and the text and the ‘complete’ seats would have worked better with the heavy texture of the acrylic paint. I think the text would be seen far easier with just the outline and it is also reminiscent of the line diagrams in the AAIB report demonstrating the damage caused to the inside of the plane.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Artwork, Artwork In Progress, MA Fine Art

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s