Another new artwork for the end of this semester. This work is also from my studies of the Kalitta Air cargo B747 in Columbia 2008 however this is larger than the other artwork I produced. I also decided to focus on smaller part of the wreckage, a section of the sheared engine.
I decided to structure this work more like a landscape as the majority of the plane wreckage was piles of black debris with larger recognisable parts of the aircraft visible. In this ‘landscape’ the engine form and the text contained within it lies within the unstructured debris on the surrounding ground.
Click the thumbnails for larger images.
There are not as many images of the painting’s stages for this post, my camera seems to have deleted them unfortunately. I’ve included the last image to show demonstrate the scale of the work and how it has been displayed. In my opinion I don’t feel that the ink outline works particularly well in this image visually however I do like the contrast of the white text form emerging from the dark, unusually shaped ground. In my artwork after this series I am thinking of playing on the landscape idea more, possibly using the broken plane form to build up some sort of landscape.
The artwork’s title is A cargo of flowers to Miami as this is what the aircraft was carrying when it crashed, there were fatalities on the ground when the plane smashed through a farm in the area. I felt that using this phrase from the report text added a small bit of context for the viewer when considering the artwork. The text, again, is from the report summary available here.
The painting is ink, acrylic paint and printed text on paper and is approx 196 x 150cm.